It’s been a year since the sound of honking horns made its way to the Coutts border in protest of public health mandates. And now, a convoy has done it again. This time, it’s not just to observe the one-year anniversary of the convoy to Coutts, it’s in order to raise funds for four men charged with conspiracy to commit murder, a weapons offence, and mischief over five thousand dollars. Chelle Landry is the organizer of the convoy and event, which included a bar-b-que and silent auction. She says it’s important for Canadians to remember that the restrictions imposed by the Trudeau Liberals have yet to be lifted.
The four men charged are Anthony Olienick, Jerry Morin, Chris Carbert, and Chris Lysak. Landry says she feels the men are being held without bail because they are political prisoners.
According to Landry’s team, 235 vehicles were counted as participating in the convoy. The event was peaceful, and no one showed up to protest the event. As for the four accused, they are set to go to trial in June. Three men accused of organizing the blockade and protests at Coutts last year, and charged with mischief over $5000 are Marco Van Huigenbos, Alex Van Herk, and George Janzen. They will have a trial by jury commencing April 2, 2024.