Jack Van Rijn has declared his intentions to run for mayor in the Town of Coaldale. He was a councillor for the town for four years, and he says transparency and public input are essential to town decision making.
“I’m really going to work towards bringing more communication, transparency, and accountability between residents and the Town of Coaldale. Right now with some of the major projects that are going on in Coaldale, residents aren’t finding out about them until after the decision has been made. A good example is the Civic Square Project where the residents found out after the fact that the Town of Coaldale spent millions of dollars buying out property owners on Main Street.”
Van Rijn’s Main Platforms:
- Transparency and accountable governance of town government and management.
- Welcome and invite public input – all opinions matter.
- Public input will guide council decisions especially for major projects.
- Clear public communication project details will be made public earlier.
- Control unsustainable spending on major projects and future taxes.
Van Rijn’s Leadership Goals:
- Citizen input on major Town projects will occur before projects are determined – not after.
- Open Town Hall Meetings will take place to ensure elected officials and administrative accountability and accessibility.
- Transparency of ‘where are we now with current town projects and commitments.
- Assist and support residents, business people, and community groups wherever possible.
- Affordable rental accessibility to town facilities for community groups and individuals.
- Property tax increases will be kept to a minimum.
Van Rijn says he will push for a new high school and rec centre for the town should he be elected mayor.
Henry Doeve and Jack Van Rijn are the only two candidates running for mayor in Coaldale.
The municipal election will take place on October 18th.