The Lethbridge 2020 Alberta Summer Games were forced to be cancelled due to the pandemic. Around 3,000 participants were set to compete in 14 sports over the four day event. This has resulted in $250,000 being given out to not-for-profit sport and cultural organizations as part of the 2020 Games Legacy Fund. Games Manager, Steve Dudas, says this money is important to help out during this tough time.
The purpose of the 2020 Games Legacy Fund is to provide financial support to:
- assist in the development of sport and culture pursuits in Lethbridge,
- capital projects/facility upgrades,
- assist in the development of athletes and artists,
- provide coach and officiating mentoring and training,
- organizational development,
- equipment and supplies, and
- promote their sport to potential new members
The deadline to apply for the funding is September 30.