Iwaasa Case reaches four-years with no clues – No vigil held this year

For the first time in four years, no public vigil was held in honour of a 26-year-old Calgary man who disappeared from Lethbridge. Today marks the four- year anniversary of Marshal Iwaasa’s disappearance. On November 17th, 2019, Iwaasa left his mother’s home in Lethbridge. He told her he had to go to his rented storage unit located on the city’s north side to gather some computer equipment. He disappeared into the night and was never seen or heard from again. A week later his truck was found torched in the backcountry near Pemberton, British Columbia.

Over the past four-years his mysterious case has become widely publicized in specials on CBS, Paramount+ and Discovery+, not to mention countless newscasts and podcasts.

Marshal’s mother, Tammy Johnson, says it’s shocking that this many years later there are still no clues to solving his case. 

“It is just unbelievably disappointing and really unbelievable, just truly unbelievable that we still don’t have any more answers than what we had four years ago,” says Johnson.  “Like, it’s just at a stand-still. You know we have lots of people who are very interested in Marshal’s case – and you know, it’s hard to believe that nothing has come out of all the media and everything that – that we’ve put out there. But what happened – we still haven’t got a clue.”  

Johnson says the family chose not to do a public vigil this year because of the emotional toll it takes to organize. She did, however, create a personalized video for her son and posted it on the Find Marshal Iwaasa Facebook page.

Jeannette Rocher

Born in Puerto Rico, raised in Minnesota and Manitoba, Jeannette has had the opportunity to live in a variety of places including New York, Arizona, and Nevada. After completing college and a paid internship with CBC Winnipeg, Jeannette embarked on her journalism career by moving overseas to take a job on the island of Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands. While overseas she covered stories in Fiji, Guam and Japan including the 2011 tsunami that hit Japan and its surrounding islands. She covered a mass shooting, an Earth quake, murder cases and other substantial court cases. In 2013 she moved to Alberta where she covered the devastating floods of High River and Medicine Hat for CTV News. She then went on to produce and host Go! Southern Alberta for Shaw TV. She now calls Miracle Channel home. In addition to reporting in the field, you can catch her anchoring daily weather reports, as well as longer interview segments on BCN, and the week-in-review show on BCN Weekends. 

Related post