Lethbridge Police Service are warning residents about a recent cougar sighting at Mountain View Cemetery.
Around 1:30am on Tuesday morning LPS were called about a cougar who had been spotted near the Flame of Hope on the northside of the cemetery.
Police responded to the call but couldn’t find the cougar.
Staff from Alberta Fish and Wildlife said there are a few tips you can implement should you stumble upon a cougar if you’re out for a walk:
- If you notice a cougar in the distance, make sure you do not run or turn your back
- If the animal is not aware of your presence, bring pets and children in close and slowly start to back away and leave the area
- If a cougar is snarling or staring at you, do not run and make sure to not play dead
- Make yourself look big and speak loudly
- If the cougar does attack, fight back and use any means at your disposal to fight it off
Another cougar sighting was also reported on June 23rd around the upper coulees of Pavan Park.
Staff with Lethbridge Police say if you see a cougar make sure to report it to the Public Safety Communications Centre at 403-328-4444.